Saturday, September 22, 2007

Blogging Can Be Conducive to a Gross Example of Modernism

So I'm currently sitting here in our "stunning" and "alluring" library at AU and I've come to a few realizations. One, this library feels like some medieval fortress crossed with a government bunker mixed with a 70s style office interior. The library could probably survive a direct impact from a meteor or an asteroid. This is where the library gets its bunker heritage. As for its medieval heritage all you have to do is look at the arrow slits for windows... And this just occurred to me: the library was designed to survive a direct impact by a space rock and then server as a fortress for when civilization is blown back to the stone age! As for its interior well, can you say creepy shrinks office from 1976 complete with cheap furniture and insultingly bright fluorescents?

My second realization was how much blogging has grown on me over the last few weeks. I had always known what blogging was but I wasn't really into it. It was like that with e-mail, IM, Myspace and Facebook as well. It takes me awhile to warm up to it but once I do I can't stop using it. I have to get the latest update and learn the latest terminology.

When we first started this class I thought that blogging was going to be an exercise in repetitiveness because I assumed that even though we could talk freely we would have to do a review on our assigned readings. Needless to say I was ecstatic that we didn't have to. I was also happy to find out that I enjoyed reading blogs. I have a really bad habit of skipping and skimming through reading assignments for school and for fun but blogging is different. Maybe it's because people are "talking" when they blog so it feels more personable and intimate? That's what I think. For me, there is nothing worse then having to read a treatise on some crap that I could care less about for school.

That's why I have really taken a liking to corporate blogs mainly because it allows you a snapshot into corporate life at some of the worlds largest and most powerful companies. I think that Scoble and Israel said it right when they said that blogging allowed Microsoft to go from being an evil corporate super-power to a more humane, customer-oriented organization. I can back up the authors with firsthand experience on my part. The company that I work for has an internal blog that the CEO updates a few times a week. I think it really helped me as an employee see the direction that management wanted to take the company in and it gave a level of intimacy that I think is sorely lacking at our offices around the world.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I really have to agree with you. This blogging thing is very new to me. I always new what it was, but for me, bloggers were a bunch of emo kids that moved up from livejournal/deadjournal and posted about what their cat did today.

The corporate blog is something very new and surprisingly pretty cool to me. It puts a face to the big bad corporation.

I think some of the best ones are those that don't just laundry list whats new at their corporation. But the posts that are personal. Some of these places seem like such cool places to work. Like Southwest sponsors all these concerts!

Mike said...

I agree with what Colleen said as well as Tim. I used to think blogging was an easy way to create a GPS to find emo kids who had nothing better to do and were posting constantly about their every move --- "i lifted a finger. i just pressed the 'h' key. Life is dull and harsh. this one time..." It is only now that I am taking this course am I able to realize all of the rammifications of blogging, especially corporate blogs. It was one of those rare occurrences that I have of being wrong...

Blogging is a way to penetrate into the corporate (and personal) mindset. it is also a great tool to attract new consumers and create conversations with the consumers. It is true: the best posts ARE personal. Take the entry on Southwest, for instance, called Wrapping Up The Skirt Issue . That is much better than looking at a company's income statements, accounting information, stock ticker, etc. If I want that information that I'll find a business report about the company. Personalization allows for better conversations from the employees to the public on the human level...

The only issue I had in agreeing with Tim and Colleen was "Some of these places seem like such cool places to work. Like Southwest..." You can have Southwest...I'll take Google instead!

The Official Google Blog